Readers, it would appear to be February. Already. How did that happen, I hear you ask? I have absolutely no idea.
So far this year I’ve been one busy Lobster. I’ve visited and caught up with a lot of people, appeared in a panto, and spent a week in a hot tub. I’ve also paid my tax bill, survived a power cut, and taken on an awful lot of work in order to cover the aforementioned tax bill and attempt to fill the hole left in my finances by Christmas and having to unexpectedly buy a new car.
All of this has left very little time for, well, anything, really! That is why I have left it until now to do my traditional New Year look back/set some goals type post. But the wait is over (you can breathe again, Readers).
Let’s have a quick look at 2015. Did I achieve all my goals? No. Did the year throw some curve balls at me? Yes. But did I finish it in a better place than I started it? Well, let’s look at the stats:
- I decided on a direction for this blog – rather than just being a place for me to witter on about random stuff, this is now a place for discussing life as a freelancer, working from home, and musings on my career.
- I launched my other blog, writerhiker.com. Not only was it a place for me to talk about walking and share photos taken on said walks, but it was my first little foray into web design. I am ludicrously proud of it.
- I had my highest earning month and, more importantly, highest earning year ever. Proof that this freelancing game is worth playing – yes, even with all my enthusing about the pros of this lifestyle, I needed to prove that one to myself.
- Recent events really hammered it home to me that life is short so I finally took the leap and invested my time, effort, and money in going after a long-term dream of mine. But more on that another time.
The cleaning rota did not make it past February. I’m sure those of you who know me personally won’t be the least bit surprised about that.
All in all, a pretty good year for yours truly (I am actually realising just how much I achieved as I write this). So what does the future hold for this Lobster? Here are some of my goals for this year:
- Blog more. Yup, two blogs are not enough for me, I am itching to do more writing. I had intended to do more guest posts in 2015 and had loads of ideas of things to write and places to submit but alas, I didn’t manage to find time. This year, it’s totally on. (email@example.com if you’d like me to write something for your blog!)
- Stop telling myself that I’m not good enough because my achievements don’t count due to X, Y, and Z. I am and they do. This is something I’ve realised I do a lot and I definitely let it hold me back. I have probably, at one time or another, discounted everything I’ve ever done which, trust me Readers, does nothing for one’s self esteem.
- Finish the new home for this website and implement plans for e-courses, etc, that stalled last year.
- Get over 100 likes on my Facebook page. It’s been hovering around 97/98 for months now.
- Spend more time hanging out with friends and family. I’ve been quite busy over the last few years with one thing and another, this year I will make time to socialise. So far so good on this one – now to keep it up!
- Push writerhiker.com to the next level. I’m not entirely sure what the next level is, so that’s probably a good starting point – decide where to go next with writerhiker.com!
- Keep pushing myself into scary, potential dreams coming true territory. Again, more on that another time.
So there you have it. My goals for 2016, all of which are entirely achievable with a little bit of effort. Wish me luck, Readers!
Lobster out. xxx